Gender and Social Movements Update
The policy brief - ‘Supporting social movements to advance women's rights and gender justice - an approach for donors’, highlights strategies donors can take to advance women’s rights and gender justice in movements, drawing from successful approaches, that have resulted in significant advances in mobilising women’s goals for collective power for change, building alliances with other movements and organisations and strengthening women’s leadership. The other policy brief – ‘Advancing gender justice in social movements - an approach for social movement leaders’, outlines political, cultural and learning strategies that can help movements to advance their gender awareness and proactive approach towards promoting women’s full participation and leadership.
The other resources featured have been published in the past year and address key social movements issues and approaches, including: pro-choice for abortion movements in Kenya and in Argentina; the collective impact of the Dutch MDG3 fund (the largest single fund created for gender equality); and a compilation of effective governance and management tools and resources.
Also visit the Eldis Gender and Social Movements page to access many more resources.
- Supporting social movements to advance women's rights and gender justice - an approach for donors
- J. Horn / BRIDGE 2014
- How can donors support gender justice within and through social movements? Private and public donors have always played a part in progressive social movements, in particular by funding organisations that have either been created by mo...
- Advancing gender justice in social movements - an approach for social movement leaders
- D. Kelleher / BRIDGE 2014
- How can social movements become more gender-just? Many seemingly progressive social movements do not consider gender equality fundamental to achieving social justice. They have yet to make it a consistent priority in either their inte...
- Dr. John Nyamu Talks about Access to Abortion in Kenya
- F. Girard / International Women's Health Coalition 2014
- In 2010, Kenya passed a new constitution that expands the right to abortion. However, many doctors in public health facilities are unaware or misinformed about this, and refuse to perform abortive procedures. In this video, the...
- Socorristas en Red - Socorro Rosa: A feminist practice for the right to choose in Argentina
- G. De Cicco / Association for Women's Rights in Development 2014
- Abortion is illegal in Argentina, with three exceptions: when the pregnancy was the result of a rape or abuse against a woman with a mental disability, and when the pregnant woman’s life or health are at risk. However, even thes...
- ARROW resource kit
- Asian-Pacific Resource & Research Centre for Women 2014
- This Asian-Pacific Resource & Research Centre for Women (ARROW) publication, the ARROW Resource Kit (ARK), is a compilation of the most effective governance and management tools and resources that ARROW has developed over the past...
- Women moving mountains: collective impact of the Dutch MDG3 fund
- S. Batliwala; S. Rosenhek; J. Miller / Association for Women's Rights in Development 2013
- Through decades of collective and individual struggle, and determined, conscious design, the women’s rights movement has achieved unprecedented shifts in global perception to the notion of gender equality as a desirable goal. Ye...